Aug 12, 2009

New York Hilton, NYC - August 12

Rating - 9.0

I love to stay at the Hyatt Grand Central, but the rate was just too high (around $370), I even called the property directly to see if I could get a discount, but they must be full.....so I am at the Hilton for $279.

I checked in early (around 2 pm) and requested a high floor. I am in room 4129 and it is nicer than I remembered a Hilton room. King size bed, decent shower and desk. Good air conditioner. Easy check-in process, and friendly service. They have moved the Diamond Desk over by the regular check in area, and the "old" Diamond desk is called the "Executive Level Check in" -- I don't know what that means as there is only 1 floor with Ex level rooms, but there was line there so I went to regular check in. Hilton does try and get you at booking on their web site to pay a fee ($70 I think) to upgrade to the Exec level -- this is the thing that drove me away from them -- rather than taking great care of their elite members they sell out to those who will pay.

One thing to remember is to get a room on 34th floor or higher so you don't have to switch elevators to get to the 44th (club level).

I went up to the club level first in search of some water bottles, but there were none. They have remodeled the club, and it is nice and open with free wifi. I did have a very good chocolate chip cookie.

I headed to the gym on the 5th floor. They remodeled it last year and I LOVE IT. Free weights with a bench, large work out area, tons of treadmills and ellipticals, and a large stretching area. Excellent perk.

Bed was great, room was cool (temparature), and it was quiet.

I asked for and was granted a 12:30 check out time.

I did not go to the club room for breakfast beacause it took too long for the elevator to come (only 3 elevators for floors 34-44). That is the only downside to the property.

Really a great stay, I enjoyed it, and love the location.

Total - $259 rate = $319.70 toatl (including a rip-off $19 for internet access)