Oct 20, 2009

Hyatt at Pittsburgh Airport, Pittsburgh PA - October 20

Rating - 7.8

First impressions (mean a lot to me) - Ruby was very friendly at check in, flat screen tvs in the room and its QUIET in the room.....HOWEVER on the negative side there were no king beds, no Regency Club, no cups in the bathroom (second trip in a row), no digital thermostat in the room (old school one from the 1960s), goofy parking situation and a crappy work service dominated by a small fridge with no power outlets for my pc.

It is strange to park here, although well marked, because you have to enter the long term parking lot and head to the hotel parking sign. I guess I will have to pay for it when I leave tomorrow (it was $11), but I don't know and there was nothing on the web site about it. It is also a bit confusing because you enter the property by an "entrance" sign, but really you are in the back by the meeting rooms. It is not well marked, and very awkward, to get to the front desk.

I arrived just after 5 pm and there was a line of 3 in front of me, but it moved quick because there were three people working the desk. Ruby checked me in and she was GREAT, but I was a bit ticked when told I had two doubles instead of a king bed....I just asked to be in the most quiet room they had. I was told it was, and I am in room 1127. I am surprised by how quiet it has been to this point (no plane noise at all, although I can hear hallway noise under the door).

The work space is AWFUL: there is a Haier fridge on top of the desk (don't understand why it is not under it) that takes up 1/4 of the desk. Most people I know work at night at the desk in the room. In addition there is NO power outlet to plug in my computer. I tried calling the "guest request" line and there was no answer, same outcome dialing "0", I finally got through to the front desk and the girl who answered was nice, but told me the outlets were in the corner by the window, by the clock on the nightstand and behind the dresser the tv sits on......all in a matter of fact way...when I said my power strip wouldn't reach she said there was nothing else she could do for that, but could she help me in any other way.....

I hung up and tried to move the dresser (no go), so I was getting ready to call the GMs office and dialed "0" again. This time I got John, he was friendly so I explained the issue again, and he immediately offered to send an extension cord up...why the first girl could not I don't get at all...the engineering department came right up, plugged it in, and let in less than a minute. Great service.

Went to the gym around 8:30 and its decent. 4 tread mills, 3 ellipticals, 4 bikes, few weight machines and dumbbells up to 50 lbs. Don't come here looking for a good lifting session. In addition, the controls on each of the ellipticals were broken......kinds of sucks.....

Headed down for breakfast and it was EXCELLENT!!! Great service from the host, excellent service from Allisa my waitress, and the food was really good. I had the buffet and selection was wide and varied, and there were only a few people having breakfast at 9 am. Very good, and and I would return for sure.

Overall, I liked the property, but am having issues getting past a few of the things that bothered me. There are many different choices just off the property, but it was easy for having 5 people fly in and join me for the ride downtown.

Total - $159.00 taxes = $181.26