Dec 29, 2009

Kelsey Road House, Lake Barrington IL - December 23

Rating 8.76

Awesome spot to have dinner at Christmas - the decorations are "best in Chicago" quality, and the place is very festive! I love the sharp cheddar cheese spread (and crackers) that is on the bar as you usually spend plenty of time waiting for a table (at least in the "old" days).

We arrived at 6 pm on a rainy/snowy night. I was really surprised to walk in and be seat right away, and that there open tables. I remember always waiting to eat here, but they also said they were closing at 8 pm that night.

John O was our waiter and he was very friendly and good. The only thing I did not like was they told us we could only order pizzas and 1 entree due to the size of our party - 8 adults and 3 kids. I have NEVER heard of a rule like that, and even if they had one, it didn't make sense for a night when there were only a few tables.

I didn't care in the least because I love the pizza, although I remember the ribs being excellent too (but I was not allowed to order them). So we had some excellent apps first - chicken fingers were excellent, skins too greasy, bratwurst soup awful. Also some cold beers and about a 30 minute wait for our deep dish pie.

Pizza was awesome, and there is so much that we had plenty to bring home. Also a great value for all we had.

This place is all about a great atmosphere, a few drinks, and solid food. They added a bar upstairs with games since I was last in the place. It is a classic, and I look forward to returning!

1 chicken fingers 8.95
fries 1.00
2 mozzarella stix 13.90
1 potato skins 8.95
2 soup cup 4.00
1 bkd onion 4.50
1 dinner salad small 3.95
1 BBQ pork sand 8.95
1 chicken finger (kid) 7.95
1 spaghetti pasta (kid) 7.95
14 Lite beers 42.00
1 312 beer 4.25
2 by the glass Tudernum Cab reserve 20.00
1 white Albano sav blanc glass 7.00
3 white mezzacorona pinot glass 18.00
1 lg deep dish pizza 22.95

Total - 209.55 + 41.91 (20% tip) automatically added = $266.13