Jun 16, 2009

Haytt Harborside, Boston MA - June 16

Rating - 9.6

Something incredible happened on the day of my arrival, I actually got a phone call from Kelly Merkan (who was very friendly and genuine) asking when I arrived so my room would be ready--- in all my years of travel I have NEVER had a property proactively call me.....

The location is at the airport, and there is a water shuttle located at the back of the property that takes you to the financial district.

The property is SPECTACULAR, unbelievable view of the Boston skyline (who would have thought the skyline was spectacular???) from across the bay. When you enter the property its all windows in the back, so that is the first thing you see. There is a bar/restaurant that overlooks the windows, and better yet there is an outdoor brick paver patio that sits on the water.....I wish I had time for a few cocktails there.

I was blown away when I arrived, not only did the front office manager (Matt) introduce himself and welcome me, Lauren who helped me at check in let me know I had been put in the Presidential Suite. It helps to meet the top dogs at Hyatt! Had a nice personal note from Bruce McDonald, the GM, those little things really mean a lot when its a different room in a different city every week.

The room is awesome. Main room has a fireplace, tv over it, and large windows facing the city on each side. The bedroom is large, and the bathroom is huge (tv over the toilet--Sports Center in the am!).

Only downside is that I cant get the in room wifi to work, and when I hit the "Internet assistance" button the phone it rings and rings with no answer. Good thing for wireless cards.

Went down to the gym. Its kind of "old school", located right next to the pool. There are 3 ellipticals, and 3 tread mills, some machines, and a rack of dumbbells with one adjustable bench. Serviceable, but probably tough to get on cardio machines when the place is full. In addition, its kind of weird that the cardio machines look into the pool area, instead of at the skyline (you could put the machines against the pool wall) as its strange to be on the elliptical while watching some large people swim.

Best way to get into the financial district is to use the water taxi........$17 round trip and you call them and they will pick you up. I enjoyed this so much I have to write a separate entry.

Only downside was waiting for the shuttle bus to get me to the airport........after a 20 minute wait I ended up getting the Domino's Pizza driver to drop me at departure gate for $10.....actually a pretty funny travel story.

I believe my rate was $199