Sep 29, 2009

Hyatt, Cincinnati OH - September 29

Rating - .73 and that is only because they get me in early

I arrived from the airport early in the morning (9 am) and stopped at the front desk to see if I could leave my bag. Ben was working and he was very friendly and helpful. My room was not ready, but he offered to take my bag and checked my in.

I returned after 2 hours and went to see if it was ready. It was not, but he put me in 1902 - a nice corner room, and I appreciated getting in early before lunch. Great customer service from Ben, and the valet guys were GREAT.

However, the carpet in the main lobby is being replaced and it was a mess. Nothing on the web site about that. Good thing they are replacing it, but the place is VERY dated and in need of a good make-over.

YIKES!! A few notes I made about what REALLY BOTHERS me about this property: Its OLD, no Regency Club (yeah, I got breakfast coupons but I like grabbing a juice, bagel, the paper and getting the day started in addition to grabbing some waters), crummy desk chair, a lamp that rattles on the desk as I type (and is so old I can tighten), HORRIBLE TV (no flat screen), and OLD wall paper that is peeling and has red marks on it, and there is NO digital thermostat - looks like a 1950s Holiday Inn (although a Holiday Inn may be more up to date).

Fitness center is ok for cardio - 3 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, 3 bikes........but that is it. No free weights or weight machines. And its small.....not Hyatt style.

Lobby is also strange tonight, they tore out all the carpet, put down 1 swath, but didn't vacuum it, it looks disgusting.

The room is pretty good size but very dated. Bathroom is ok, low level of lights.

Bad experience with breakfast. As mentioned there is no Regency Club so I went to their restaurant on the second floor. We were seated right away, and told the buffet included cooked to order pancakes, omlets, waffles. I ordered the waffles and we walked up to the buffet. It had a decent selection, but after getting back to the table the eggs were cold. Waitress said my "pancakes" would be up soon....but it took so long I had to leave for the airport.

I would not return to this property, and I am pretty sure the Westin down the street is in better shape.

Total - $159.00 per night***

***WAY TOO MUCH, $99 would be in the ball park.