Apr 11, 2009

Chef Amaury Epicurean Affair, Naperville, IL - April 11

8/17- Update - You decide what you think about this message I received, I gave them a high rating and enjoyed the cozy spot (by the way my name is MATT): Hi Mike,
First of all, I appreciate you and your group coming out to our restaurant. It’s always an honor to have both Steve and Hope come out as well as the rest of your group. As you can see, I constantly monitor what’s said about our restaurant. I take great pride in what we serve and how we serve it. I use the best ingredients that I can find and spend sometimes double if not triple the amount for ingredients in comparison to conventional. This is done because first of all the ingredients taste better, next, because we are supporting sustainable practices and in season, local farmers and vendors that are trying to make a living competing against giant farms where they do not care about how their products is handles as long as it’s produced cheaply. What I’m getting at is that you complained about the price you paid for a six course and all of that wine your group consumed. I always welcome feedback and will always explain why things are priced the way they are. Also, I do not appreciate the comment about “Chef was there and introduced the menu and thanked us for dining there (that was a great touch), but then I am not sure what he did. I don't think he cooked (the kitchen is open, its like eating in someones home), and our Chef's said the kids cooking had worked there for years. The Chef/owner also teaches at some local colleges.Service was very good (it should be with no one there), and his wife is one of the waitresses.”

Putting me down like that was not cool. I take great pride in training my staff. This is what a good chef does. “Not sure what he does”. Come on. Business was slow that day and that is why I greatly appreciated you and your group coming in. I can see by your post that Italian food is your thing. I appreciate a good Italian meal as well, but to compare what I do and my price points to cheaply produced Italian is not fair. Also, we pay almost $4.00 a bottle for that German beer that you liked . What do you suppose is a fair price? Also, my wines are priced at about 10-15.00 above retail. Did you research the price of wines before you commented about our pricing? Also, we are not going to take over the space at your beloved Capri. Thank god. We did not have anything to do with them moving. Looks like you were a little upset about them leaving and took it out on us. We are very sorry that they left and that you are left with a void for Italian food. I believe they moved to Yorkville, IL so you can still visit them. They were also planning to open another location in Warrenville, near the AMC theatres. I feel terrible that your experience wasn’t quite right. I tried to read in your review where we didn’t execute in delivering our food right but didn’t see it. This is what I do for a living. I love what I do and do not offer any excuses. Our regulars can testify that we do not overcharge for our food. A comparable meal at a Chicago restaurant would cost anywhere between $20.00-50.00 more. My food cost is at around 40% which is above the norm. I tried to read when your group left if they had a good or bad experience. I would welcome feedback from you or anyone in your group to make our place better. Thank you for reading this email. I can be reached at the restaurant at 630-375-0426 or of course you can just respond to this email. Thanks again. I tried to write a constructive email but apologize if it came out wrong. I am very passionate about what I do. I really hope to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Amaury Rosado
Chef/owner
Chef Amaury’s Epicurean Affair
481 N. Commons Dr.
Aurora, IL 60504
630-375-0426
Amrosado1@msn.com
www.chefamaury.com


Rating 8.2

630-375-0426

It is hidden in a strip mall across from the Aurora Post Office (east of it). Very intimate, but when we went on a Friday night there were only 2 other couples there. We had a party of 6, and it would probably seat 20 at the most. I have driven by the place many times and never knew it was there. We went with our Chef neighbors who knew the chef. What is an Epicurean Affair????????????

It was pretty good although I did not like beer price of $10 per!!!!!!!

We had the six course meal for $65 each - first course was some little thing, second was some carrot soup/something else that was pretty good, third was halibut - which I LOVED, fourth was a steak (I didn't eat since it was Good Friday), fifth was cheese plate (very good) and last was desert (I had the chocolate explosion and it was little like at the trump, but very good).

Chef was there and introduced the menu and thanked us for dining there (that was a great touch), but then I am not sure what he did. I don't think he cooked (the kitchen is open, its like eating in someones home), and our Chef's said the kids cooking had worked there for years. The Chef/owner also teaches at some local colleges.

Service was very good (it should be with no one there), and his wife is one of the waitresses.

Katie would go back for sure, I think I would.

I heard the depressing news that my FAVORITE place closed (Capri) and Chef Amaury is thinking of taking that space. Won't work if he keeps his menu the same.

6 Dinner - Five course $390.00
2 Rhone - Cotes Delas 64.00
2 Cabernet - Conn Creek 80.00
5 Beer - Erdinger Hefe 50.00 (this is me, a great beer, but $10 PLEASE)

Tip 116.80 (automatic for parties of six)

Total $759.20

Our portion = $253.06 --- ON SECOND THOUGHT - TOO much. Might be worth $200, NOT $250